Thursday, November 24, 2016

Water is life

This Thanksgiving Day, I am grateful for the brave water protectors at Standing Rock Camp in North Dakota. They are risking their bodies to protect the Missouri River watershed, the ancestral lands and burial grounds of the Sioux people, and their way of life.

All over the world, growing human populations, expropriation by people with money and power, and climate change threaten people's access to clean, reliable water supplies.

None of us can live without water. I'm grateful that when I turn the tap, cheap and clean water flows. Everyone should have that.

I am fortunate, through accidents of my history, to be able to help rural Nicaraguans bring water to their communities through a project called El Porvenir. This work too is something else to be grateful for.

This Thanksgiving Day, let us be thankful for water.

No comments: