Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day

When my mother died over 15 years ago, a neighbor told me: "For awhile your picture of her will be as she was at the end of her life, but later you'll remember her as she was when she was younger." This seems to be true. This picture is how I remember her now, as she looked in the mid-1950s. I think I took that picture with the family's little Kodak box camera.

Mother disapproved of Mother's Day. She considered it an occasion for consumerism (not that she would have have used that language.) "It was invented by the florists," she said.

2 comments:

Civic Center said...

Interesting, true observation from your neighbor. My mother also disapproved of Mother's Day, partly because her birthday was on May 11th and I think she she disliked having to compete for undivided attention from the rest of the world.

Hattie said...

I don't like Mother's Day.