Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Majority supports the Iran deal

We might see more of this if peace breaks out. 

A couple of days ago I created a list of obvious issues on which Republican party orthodoxy is out of step with a majority of us. It wasn't hard. The list is long.

But I didn't include any foreign policy concerns because I wasn't sure the data was quite as clear in that arena. Now I learn I was wrong.

The Quinnipiac University National Poll reports that:
American voters support 58 - 33 percent the preliminary agreement with Iran to restrict that country's nuclear program, according to a Quinnipiac University National poll released today.
The agreement worries respondents; they are apparently not sure that Iran will keep its word. But they clearly want this to work.

Despite all our residual hawkery, apparently the lesson of Bush's failed wars still has wide influence. I'm sure that war-mongering elites and the media could frighten many of us into supporting new dumb wars. But for the moment, we're still somewhat resistant.

Photo: German women play Iranian women in Tehran, 2007.

No comments: