Monday, March 28, 2011

Isolation correlations



I picked up this interesting graphic from Paul Krugman who picked it up from Richard Florida. It certainly confirms most of my prejudices: states with lower numbers of people who are equipped to venture out of the United States do run to Republicanism and other variants of Know-Nothingism. They also, mostly, have smaller proportions of in-migrants, immigrants.

The only slight surprises to me on the map are New Mexico and Michigan. Border states are places, nowadays, where we NEED passports. Neither of these are places where the adjacent country seems truly in the category of "foreign."

There was a time when I didn't have a passport. In those days, you didn't need one to go to Canada or Mexico and I did. These days, we think borders are VERY important. Odd, since information from and about other places, including visual information, is so much more accessible than in that earlier time.

It's a big world and I'm glad to have traveled a little of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan,
I read your blog often and enjoy your perspective on many of your topics but don't often comment. Today I am de-lurking to ask for clarification.
Your statement:
"states with lower numbers of people who are equipped to venture out of the United States do run to Republicanism and other variants of Know-Nothingism. They also, mostly, have smaller proportions of in-migrants, immigrants."

I think I am misunderstanding you but not sure hence my request for further clarification on "lower numbers" "run to Republicansism" and the rest of the latter half of the first paragraph.

Maybe I am just stupid but I don't know whether to be insulted or well, I don't know. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, this IS your blog and you certainly have the freedom to write what reflects your thought, feelings and ideas.

The reason I am asking for clarification is- I live in a border state-Minnesota. I do have a passport so I can continue to travel there mostly to attend the Winnipeg Folk Festival. I know rather silly of me.

Bridgemor

janinsanfran said...

@ Anon: Evidently I was completely unclear. It's always good for me to realize when I've tried to be too cute.

What I was referring to is that the states on this map where large numbers of people have passports are also mostly the ones that turn up colored "blue" (Democratic) in Presidential elections. This strikes me as particularly noticeable in the evenly divided 2004 contest.

Here's a picture of the blue/red map.

That is -- less passports; likely to be red state/Republican.

Obviously I failed to communicate.